Saturday, March 6, 2010

This gorgeous Saturday....

What a morning.

So, I'm a part of Borgess Run Camp, which is awesome. I'll give you more details about it's awesomeness later, but the basic gist is that I run long runs on Saturday mornings, along with about 450 other people. And within those 450 people, I have a little pace group of people my similar pace. It's really nice to know there is a group of people helping hold you accountable for doing your runs.

With that said... knowing full well I had to run 10 miles this morning at 8am, I went to Art Hop last night. For those not in the know, Art Hop is where downtown businesses open their doors for art, shopping, free snacks, and most importantly... free wine. I set out early enough, about 5:30pm, with some friends and my mom. I figured I could Hop, kick back a couple glasses of wine, and get to bed early.

Wrong.

We "Hopped" for a few hours, had a really delicious dinner at Ouzo's, and then decided to go to Old Peninsula for a bit. THEN decided to go dance at Metro for a while. Long story short, I had a really fun time, but didn't get in between my sheets until probably 1:30am.

Now, my solid run buddy and I had decided we were tired of our 9:30-40 rut we were stuck in, and wanted to bust out of it this week. Knowing full well we were going to face some challenging hills, I woke up worried this would not be an attainable goal.

Thank goodness for Mother Nature being easy on me this morning. Then sun was shining, it was a brisk but do-able 35 degrees... I felt my apprehension about impending doom-filled hills and a long stretch across the City of Portage melting away. A cup of green tea and a banana later, I felt pretty damn ready to run.

And run we did. Finishing with an overall pace of 9:25 per mile, I felt really satisfied with shaving some seconds off of our usual time.

The real point of this story is, I did not wake up this morning thinking I was going to pull an awesome run out of my hat. I woke up groggy and unimpressed to be awake. But sometimes you're just wrong about what you can accomplish, which goes back to my philosophy about never telling yourself you can't do something. Every day you get on this planet is special, and you don't know how many of them you get. So go out and run a little bit. Or ride your bike for a half hour. Or walk 25 feet. Because something is always better than nothing. Simple math says, walking 25 feet down the sidewalk is more than sitting on the couch. And chances are good, once you put on your shoes and walk those 25 feet? You'll keep right on walking.

until later...

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

No comments:

Post a Comment