~ WHAT YOU'LL NEED ~
* 1 lb lean ground chicken (or turkey)... remember to look for the words "grass-fed", "antibiotic-free", "no hormones"... and Meijer has a pretty good ground chicken that was less than $5. The brand is Smart Chicken.
* 2 cups beans (I used leftover black and kidney beans, but feel free to use whatever you like. They're best if you take the time to buy dry ones and soak/boil them, but I know how time-consuming that can be. Canned is ok, too- just shoot for organic if you can. Meijer has tons of organic canned beans in their brand, so no excuses!!)
* 1 lg can of chopped tomatoes (again, Meijer has them in organic!)
* 1 green pepper, diced
* 1/2 sweet onion, diced
* 1 cup of your favorite salsa
* 1 whole garlic bulb
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 1 pouch of taco seasoning
* sour cream (optional)
~ WHAT TO DO ~
1. Chop up those green peppers and onions!
2. Brown the chicken meat in a frying pan with some extra virgin olive oil. Crush up the garlic and add half the bulb to the pan while you're browning. Once the pink is gone, add the taco seasoning according to pouch's instructions. Set aside.
3. In a large crock-pot, combine the chopped veggies, green onions, the rest of the garlic, the salsa, the tomatoes, the chicken mixture... am I forgetting anything? The beans! Whatever you have on that list up there, put it in the pot. EXCEPT the sour cream. That's for later.
4. Simmer on low for 4 + hours. It's good to sit there pretty much all damn day if you like. This is dinner that takes care of itself!
5. Enjoy with a dallop of sour cream. (Again, organic! Especially dairy- you don't need the extra hormones.)
Don't skip any of those veggies, or the garlic and scallions! Everything in this dish is in here because of it's health benefits. It's full of protein, fiber, lycopene, antioxidants... a heart-healthy, digestive-happy, cancer-fighting super dinner! And it will leave you feeling satisfied. =)
"Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili." ~ Last words of Kit Carson, American frontiersman (1809-1868)