- ALL RUNNERS LOOK LIKE THIS:
- I'M TOO SLOW TO BE A RUNNER. Sorry, that's a myth, too. Unless you are a freak of speed like a handful of people I know, you are probably not going to win any races. And that's fine. You're probably not going to come in last, either. Also fine. And if you DO come in last, that is ALSO FINE. You still finished a race while bunches of other people stayed home and watched reruns of Full House. (Have mercy.)
- IF I FAIL, IT WILL BREAK ME. No, it won't. Sometimes I go out for a run, and I can't get my mojo working. I'm tired, my brain starts telling me I suck at this, and I quit and go home. It's a bad day. So, I read a book or play with my dogs, and I try again another day. Fact is, sometimes you are going to suck at running. It's not a big deal, unless you give up completely and never put your shoes back on. If you're having a bad day, you can quit. You just have to make sure you never quit trying, because one bad day is not the end of all good days.
- PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT ME. No, they won't. And if they do, they are probably an asshole or feel threatened by you. You are better than that.
- I'M TOO OLD TO RUN. Nope. Don't let age discourage you from trying. I know people that I guarantee are older than you that are out there jogging along.
- RUNNING IS BORING. Running is as boring as you let it be. Running the same loop in your neighborhood like I do a lot? Boring. Running with a few friends? Much less boring. Doing a local race with a whole bunch of other people? Not boring. Doing a run like The Color Run or Warrior Dash or a glow run or something else that involves lots of people slinging crap at you? Actually, those are super fun. Find a way to put the fun into your running. Frunning. (TRADEMARK)
- I CAN'T RUN. You can.
So today, for National Running Day, I implore you to get out there. Instead of telling yourself no, tell yourself yes. I'm not asking for a marathon, I'm asking for you to tack on 30 seconds of jogging to a walk tonight. Make a choice- you are better than the voices in your head that try to keep you down. You couldn't ask for a more perfect day to start an uprising.
"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." ~ Chinese Proverb