Thursday, April 25, 2013

Banana Bread

I must be on a crazy banana kick this week.  Actually, there was just an abundance of over-ripe bananas in this house.  I found this recipe for Blueberry Banana Bread and altered it just a bit (mainly because I didn't have any berries).  It is vegan, easy to make gluten-free, and totally delicious.  And it took the exact amount of time it said, which I appreciate!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

  • 3 large over-ripe bananas
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (or can use almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk... but I used applesauce)
  • 1/2 cup honey (recipe calls for agave, honey worked great)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour, and the link gives some instruction on what she used to make it gluten-free)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Other optional ingredients: cinnamon, berries, nuts, raisins, I put some oats on the top of mine =)
WHAT TO DO: 
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • IF YOU ARE USING ALMOND OR SOY MILK.  Add a Tbsp of lemon juice and let it stand about a minute to let it curdle.  Or... just use applesauce.  
  • Mash bananas in a container until smooth but a little chunky.  
  • Add the other wet ingredients to the bananas (lemon juice, applesauce, honey/agave).  
  • In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients.  (I added cinnamon to my dry ingredients, about a Tbsp.)  Then add the wet ingredients and stir well to coat the dry.  
  • In a greased or sprayed load pan, add the bread mixture.  This is where I sprinkled some oats across the top and patted them in before baking.  =)  
  • Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.  Insert toothpick and make sure it comes out clean!
Next time I will certainly beef this up with some nuts and berries.  It was so good on it's own, though; and even better the next day after a night in the fridge!

Happy baking!

Until later....

No comments:

Post a Comment