Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Ready for run camp....


Today starts my journey as a Borgess Run Camp team leader. And I'm excited.

So excited that when I saw the snow flying as I woke up, I knew I had to get out and run in it. You'll think I'm crazy, but there is a lot of confidence and strength that can be taken from winter running. Don't question the power of running despite being cold, despite being wet, despite being nervous you might slip and fall. Because truth be told, you MIGHT slip and fall. But... you might not. You have to take the chance or sit on the sidelines. And it takes a real bad-ass to brave the elements and sneaker up when it's 20 degrees and snowing.

A bad-ass like me. Or you. Or the hundreds of other people in Greater Kalamazoo who join the various run camps offered to push us through the dreary winter months.

A friend asked me what my leadership goals were for this winter. I've been thinking about that quite a bit, because as excited as I am, of course I'm nervous. I wonder if I know enough. If I'm helpful enough. If I have a clue as to what I'm talking about half of the time.

But frankly, the answer to those questions is no. I'll never know enough, or be helpful enough, or always have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I'm human. Like all humans, I know what I know and I'm always learning more. The best I can do is offer others the things I *do* know.

So what ARE my goals? To lead and inspire by example. To show that it's ok to not always be sure of yourself, but not to let it be a roadblock. To help others to trust their footing, whether snowy or dry. To push people to be the best they can be, and be committed to themselves.

And maybe most importantly, to remind others that who you were is not who you are. Who you are starts today.

Happy December 1st, and happy trails, wherever they may lead you.

"You know what they say, life ain't always easy. And everyday we're survivors. So forget the day, it's all about tonight; act a fool and start a riot, a riot. Be a rebel." ~ Jay Sean


Sign up!! Marathon, Half-Marathon, or 5k... never run? Who cares! ANYONE CAN TRY. Sitting still is doing nothing.
https://borgessruncamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment