Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pears. A delicious fruit that used to grow in my backyard. Sadly, the best pears were always out of reach at the top, and the crappy ones that weren't edible were always at the bottom and falling on the ground. So most of my childhood memories of pears are as a messy nuisance. I'm happy to report.... pears and I are, once again, in love.

Pears are a great snack; they are full of fiber and are low in calories. They don't contribute any fat or cholesterol to your day. They DO contribute some Vitamin C.

You know me, I like to think of creative ways to use my fruits and vegetables. Here is a breakfast treat that goes in the category of "should be disgusting, but is actually delicious."


CHEESY PEAR SCRAMBLE

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
* 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
* two medium mushrooms, sliced into thirds or fourths
* 1/4 red pear, chopped
* 1/4 cup fat free or low-fat mozzarella
* small container of Egg Beaters
* sprinklings of salt, nutmeg, and ground red pepper (cayenne)

WHAT TO DO:

* Start by chopping up the veggies you need. While you heat up your sautee pan, put the chopped pears in the microwave for one minute. This will help soften them up a little before sauteeing.

* Spray pan with a little cooking spray, then sautee onion, mushroom, and pears until browned a little. Add spices and cook for another minute or so.

* Add Egg Beaters.

* When all that is looking pretty cooked, turn off the stove and add the cheese.


I had my scramble with a slice of Ezekial raisin toast. Best bread ever; expensive, but worth it. I keep it in the freezer and just tear slices off to toast when I need/want them. You can find it in the Meijer "gluten-free" frozen section!

Happy breakfast.


"I am doing the best I can given what I have today." ~ Jillian Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment