Friday, June 18, 2010

More on the power of positive thinking....

I have found that to think positive, you have to surround yourself with positive reminders. Pictures that remind you of good times. Quotes that remind you to stay strong. Even stories about people who beat the odds. Reminding yourself that you are a good and deserving person isn't always easy, but it's necessary.

I have a huge mirror in my bathroom. Big enough that I couldn't possibly need the whole thing to get ready in the morning. So I like to put a few things up as daily reminders of the task ahead of me; to spend my day being the best me I can be. One thing I have up there is a list of "Mental Toughness Tips" that I got at a race this year. They hold true not just for athletics, but for jobs or nearly any other aspect of your life! And now, I'd like to share them with you.

* Play to your own standard of excellence, not up or down to the level of your opponent.

* Be committed, even when you are not motivated.

* Maintain positive focus and effort at all time, especially after mistakes. Being positive brings up your teammates, being negative brings up your opponents!

* Have a specific goal for every practice. Be sure to review why you are a better athlete after each practice.

* Practice how you want to play. Give full physical and mental effort at all times.

* When under pressure, define what your job is and focus on that.

* Know that competitive anxiety is normal and prepares you for battle.

* Prepare, prepare, and prepare some more. Nothing is better to build confidence.

* Take a deep breath to regain focus on the here and now.

* Your mind is built to warn you of danger; it is often best not to believe your mind when it worries.

Special thanks to Grand Rapids Sport Psychologist Dr. Eddie O'Connor for the great tips. You can follow Dr. Eddie on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/dreddieoconnor or on Twitter @ SportsDrEddie.

until later...

"Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles." ~Alex Karras

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of positivity and totally agree with you! I keep my reminders on my fridge. Actually, what you'll find as you reach for the freezer handle is a series of motivating fortune cookie sayings that I've received over the years. Silly? Maybe. But they're wise =)

    As a related side note, let me say this about positivity though, while I believe in it and the overall better state of being it brings, I just don't necessarily believe in putting on rose colored glasses that block out reality.

    Keep up the good work Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Kaija! The trick is to take reality and use positivity to know that you can get through it one way or another. That's hard for so many people... especially me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    You've got a very nice blog. To grow to be a successful person the basic issue is to have positive thinking. Appreciate Sky Rocketing Accomplishment with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Produce Positive Thinking So You are able to Eliminate Pressure From your Life, Increase Your Self-Confidence and Program Your self For Lifetime Accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete